Got an interesting email invite: A group of the most pro-downtown, pro-landlord, conservative folks in town is holding a fundraiser for Sup. London Breed, who represents the most progressive district in the city.
Oh, and none of the members of the Host Committee lives in or has any direct connections to District Five.
The Feb. 25 event is at the home of Wade and Lorna Randlett. Wade Randlett is a scorched-earth political operative who created a group called SFSOS with the late Republican GAP mogul Don Fisher. His wife was the spokesperson for disgraced former school superintendant Arlene Ackerman. Randlett tried to shoot down a school bond after Ackerman was fired. He was the secret force behind an effort to recall former Sup. Sophie Maxwell.
Also on the list: Ron Conway and Anne Moeller Caen, who is a terrible, pro-PG&E member of the SFPUC.
Oddly, powerhouse lawyer Joe Cochette is on the invite, as is 49ers tight end (and generally cool guy) Vernon Davis.
Oh, and Mayor Ed Lee, who, I'm told, can't stand Wade Randlett. Which puts him in good company.
I called Sup. Breed and asked her about the event, and she told me she met Randlett working on the first Obama campaign, "and he volunteered to do this." She said she needed the money for office essentials like extra computer screens and a couch, and she has to pay off her inaugural celebration.
As she normally does, Breed went out of her way to say that her votes are not for sale, and that she won't do the bidding of the people who give her money. "If you want to hold a fundraiser for me, I'd be happy to take your money too," she said. As for a host committee that might be offensive to the majoirty of her constituents, she said "it is what it is."
In the end, of course, Breed will be -- and should be -- judged by her votes, not by her associates, and we'll have an excellent indication of where she's headed when Sup. Scott Wiener's TIC legislation comes before the board. But in the meantime, the reason this is all relevant (other than the fun of watching Ed Lee and Wade Randlett try to get along) is that it indicates that some very bad actors think (rightly or wrongly) that Breed is their ally.
Most Commented On
- It's not a surprise that some States have differing views on - May 24, 2013
- What's the worst that could - May 24, 2013
- Yes - May 24, 2013
- They can build without affecting the view from Telegraph Hill - May 24, 2013
- Not even on internet comment pages, - May 24, 2013
- A better question is: - May 24, 2013
- Most people who calim to not like Pacific Heights or the Marina - May 24, 2013
- It's one set of plutocrats trying to elbow out another set of - May 24, 2013
- Most attempts by the left to micro-manage the population here - May 24, 2013
- Yep, exactly Chris, I think we all know that something high-end - May 24, 2013